Is flaxseed meal (a source of omega-3 fatty acids) in kitten food a necessity for your kitten? With all of the different kitten food options and ingredients out there, it’s important to learn the difference between what your kitten needs and what is less essential. The following article discusses flaxseed meal, which is in IAMS™ Kitten Premium Pate with Gourmet Chicken wet food.
Flaxseed meal is the ground seed of the flax plant. The oil in flax is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, such as alpha-linoleic acid, which is the parent compound of other omega-3 fatty acids.
Why Are Omega-3 Fatty Acids Important?
Inclusion of omega-3 fatty acids in the diet of humans and other animals, such as kittens, can help:
- Maintain skin health
- Support healthy brain cells and learning ability
- Maintain healthy blood clotting and blood lipid parameters
- Maintain healthy cell growth
Are Omega-3 Fatty Acids Essential?
Alpha-linolenic acid may be an essential omega-3 fatty acid. However, it may take several generations for the signs of deficiency to become evident.
Why Use Flax Meal in Kitten Food?
- Flaxseed meal is used to provide omega-3 fatty acids to give a balance of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids in the diet.
- IAMS research shows that balancing the amount of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids helps maintain a healthy skin and coat.
- IAMS Premium Pate with Gourmet Chicken is formulated with omega-3 sources, including flaxseed meal, to provide guaranteed levels of omega-3 fatty acids.